1. Quick review of what we learned last class
2. Review of Annotating, Summarizing, Paraphrasing, and Quoting (pages 14-17 of the class packet; How to: pages 3-6)
3. a) If you have a summary of Butler's biography, you get to critique someone else's. If not, you should be working on writing the summary.
b) In teams, summarize
- Wikipedia Butler Biography
- Wild Seed critique in Orson Scott Card's How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
4. Paraphrasing and quoting from interviews with Octavia Butler. Online handout HERE.
5. Go to your Sandbox, click on Edit, and create a Level 2 Heading titled "Research Journal Entries." Take a few minutes to write Research Journal Entry #2 (10 points) on what you did and learned today.
Assignments due 10/5
- Read Wild Seed, chapters 5-6. (Up to page 91 on the pdf on Blackboard; the book is also on reserve in the Library, together with the other volumes in the trilogy).
- Log on to Wikipedia. Go to your Sandbox, click on Edit, and create a Level 2 Heading titled "Wild Seed, Chapters 5-6" (25 points). In your own words ONLY, write a 150 to 200-word summary of what happens in these chapters. Do NOT quote. Do NOT closely paraphrase summaries from outside sources, as this is against Wikipedia policy, as explained in the handout "Avoiding plagiarism on Wikipedia." You may want to preview the page before clicking "Save page."
- Read the handout "Using Wikipedia talk pages." Now, practice editing and communicating on Wikipedia by introducing yourself to THREE people on their Talk pages: a) our own Ann Matsuuchi (Username: Mozucat), b) our Wiki Education volunteer Adam, and c) one classmate of your choice. The class list is HERE. A hello/ thank you in advance/ thank you for the help with the summary/ a question or comment about the class or some other nice words will suffice--Don't forget to sign your posts!
- Complete this Paraphrasing and Quoting Test (10 points).